Friday, January 05, 2007

Gripe

Okay, so this is me bitching to the void, since no one but Dr. Girlfriend and Baby read this thing.
When I was a young lad, there was a trifecta of "good" and honorable jobs that any parent would be proud to say their kid had chosen as their profession: Doctor, Accountant and...drum roll...Lawyer. Now, why was that? Was it the level of education and achievement attached to those degrees? Or was it the wealth associated with the practice of any of the above? Granted, there were others: engineer, teacher, etc., but what happened to attorneys?
Did a bubble pop in the 80s? Was there a mad rush to law schools and a simulatneous lowering of entrance standards? Is there a glut and how, short of genocide, do we fix it?
It seems to me there should be enough evil to go around, but there isnt. Are people becoming less criminal, staying married longer, managing there finances better? Watching so much CSI and Law and Order that there is nothing left for us to do?
All I know is, most of the attorneys I know make less per year than their postman.
Not saying I have a sense of entitlement. I live well below my means, but thats just a product of my upbringing. I just wonder if everyone who went to law school knew that they have to WANT to practice law, not just have a "good" job. Cuz sometimes this sucker dont pay out. And I hear the grumbles.
I just wanna know what happened to the trifeca of jobs I wanted for myself as a kid: paleontologist, fireman, astronaut.
Maybe I'll start wearing a flight suit to work, with "BUZZ" on the name tag and change my firm name to "the Right Stuff & Assoc.".

No comments: