Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Dave, Dave, Dave

Unless you are a friendless deaf-mute in the Congo, you know that Dave Chapelle reappeared in these United States and was pulled into the journalistic no-fly zone that is Oprah. Dont getting the tar and feathers just yet, ladies. I am not blaspheming against your God. I like Oprah. I have a lot of respect for what she does to improve the world around her (charity work, awareness-raising) My problem is she seems to be getting ahead of herself. But I will save all that for another post. What happened with Dave was this: He claimed he wasn't crazy, but he ran off to Africa without telling even his wife and wants to give the bulk of his money to charity.
1. I bet his wife just LOOOOOVED that.
2. Give me the money.
3. Dave is just having guilt about making $50 million for smoking pot, fucking around with his friends and telling inside "N-word" jokes.
I can see how the pressure of going from just a guy and his pals goofing around to having the whole world watching your every move. No one talks the same in public as they do when they are with their friends. Dave feels like he was laughing in a closet with his buddies and someone opened the door. Dave isnt completely nuts, though.
1. Going on Oprah has drawn so much attention to this negotiation that Comedy Central would come out looking like Nazis if they turned him down. Especially after he said the "donate to the people" thing. Who can say no to that?
2. Warning: Lawyer-evil ahead! Dave only said he would "like to" give back to the people. He never said "I will". No contract.
3. As he put it, when addressing the question of his going to Africa and checking into a mental health facility, no one goes from the US to Africa for health care.
This reporter eagerly awaits the outcome of it all. I cannot wait to see the return of Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories.
He always screams " I'm rich, Bitch!" at the end of every episode. Well, Dave. Now you are.

2 comments:

Chris W. McCarty said...

Trust me, don't post about Oprah. Bad idea. BAD idea...

Anonymous said...

Dude laughs.
C.Warren blows Dude's cover.
Oprah invites law students as guests on next show.