Monday, May 08, 2006

(Insert here)-American

I was asked recently what I preferred to be called, "Black or African-American".
Let me put it to you this way; I know I am not literally black. I tend to see myself as more of a caramel macchiato. But I take no offense to being called black, just as I refer to my friends of European decent as white. Most are not actually "white", though a few are quite pasty (Dude cant help it, he's Irish. Hmmm. Irish-American?).
Thats why I take issue with African-American. Not that its offensive, but:
1. I have never been to Africa and neither has my father, his father or his! In fact, my "white" girlfriend has more traceable relatives in Africa right now than I do!

2. What is an African-American? Is it someone of African decent living in the US? Because that perfectly describes Charlize Theron, but I didnt see her at Oprah's Gala event. I thought it was Africans who have moved to the US and gained citizenship or are here on a Visa (picture Eddie Murphy in Coming to America). And to tell the truth, they dont think very highly of us "African-Americans". Well, maybe they want the women, but they think of the men as lazy and directionless.

3. Why would you want to tack on a label with a hyphen and still complain about being singled out?
I feel like we all can maintain our pride in who we are and where our ancestors came from without wearing the label all day long. Might as well get tshirts for everyone declaring their heritage! Its just another hoop to dive through and another little hurdle people have to jump over to get to who you really are.I just want to be an American for a change. Use a color to pick me out of a crowd (no different than "that guy in the blue suit"), not to single me out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I feel like we all can maintain our pride in who we are and where our ancestors came from without wearing the label all day long."

Excellent post. For a long time as a kid, some of us are told we belong to this group or that group. It is hard to break away from an identity that was sort of assigned to you. Particularly when you have an obviously ethnic name that is pointed out every single time someone learns your name. Obviously it is even more difficult to escape an ethnic categorization when your physical traits identify you with a specific continent.

But you are lucky to some degree. Yeah, you encounter racism, and that pretty much sucks. But nobody ever tries faking an African accent because they think you are African American or makes jokes that you must love couscous and bobotie for dinner. Man, that really sucks.

Example? How many times do I have to check out at the Grocery and listen to the cashier proclaim: "Mr. Holzapfel! You must be Italian right? (wink wink)" Yeah, I'm Italian. Freaking hilarious. Like I haven't heard that joke a few times in the past 28 years. “So, do you like zee bratwurst and kraut. Ja, Ja!” Serious, you just keep getting funnier.

Then the store clerk feels like they can somehow immediately identify with you because they recognize the ethnicity of your name. "You know, my step dad’s great aunt knew a guy from Germany. We might be related. I can even say a few words." The few words is always something like “Ich Sprechen Sie Deutsch nicht so gut,” which could be translated as “I speak you German not so good.” I wonder what the word for tautology is?

My personal favorite: "My mom's dad is Irish, and my dad's mom is German. I never know whether I should drink or fight!" Ha, that is hilarious. Especially since that applies to 96% of Americans and we've all heard that joke.

However, I have to play devil's advocate. Sometimes you meet a guy whose parents or even grandparents are from say Jamaica. They kid likes curried goat, and can feign the accent with the best of them, partially due to visiting relatives. I have to say in such case, citizenship is a formality- the guy is a little Jamaican.

At the same time, revisiting your example, most blacks in America have completely departed from the African culture of their ancestors. People embracing the ideals of Kwanzaa for a few weeks out of the year is a little silly to me. If your that African, learn Swahili and practice the seven principle all year long.

As for you Ozy, you’re easy to categorize. You're just some sort of confused Japanese American Redneck who grew up beside the Mississippi River but still misses the English countryside. Apparently you might be Egyptian too.

Dude

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and the Irish dude you are talking about better be BFCP and not BFB.
-Dude