Friday, May 11, 2007

The Hunchback of Notre Knox

So this attorney in my office gets a call. He takes it in my office because we are in the middle of an important staff meeting (lunch). He says hello to the client. And then stands there. And stands there.
Well, he puts the guy on hold and walks out of my office and 5 minutes later, the guy is still on hold. So, I pick it up. And I can only sit there, And sit there. And sit there as he tells me the most ridiculous story I have ever heard. Promise.
Apparently he accused a girl of stealing from her mother, his friend. Well, she made the same accusations right back. So the next time he pulls up to his house, he sees a guy across the street, sitting in a car, on his cellphone. Well, obviously this man is a government agent of some sort and is lying in wait for this innocent feller.
So he runs for it.
He heads for safety. In church.
He calls my colleague to inform him that 'they' are after him and that, as soon as his pastor gets back from lunch, he is going to request "sanctuary".
For the uninformed, and I know who you are cuz you aren't laughing yet, "sanctuary" was the legal asylum given to anyone who made it to the safety of the church steps and asked for it... in the Middle Ages! It was abolished in 1683 or something like that!
I keep picturing Quasimodo ringing that bell!
I once heard of a guy who invoked the Articles of Confederation in a trial and had cites and copies for all to see. But this! My colleague should subpoena the preacher, just to get his reaction when the guy said that shit. Nice!
Next time I'm in trouble, I'm invoking Hammurabi's Code. Or the Dead Sea Scrolls.

No comments: