Tuesday, March 14, 2006

O.S.C.A.R.

It seems the trend of the Academy is leaning towards a formula. If you don't have these 5 things, there is no chance of a win for best picture:
Opulence
Sexuality
Cross-dressing
Adversity
Racism
Okay. Brokeback Mountain was good. Donnie Darko was great in that film and the cinematography was incredible. But to be honest, Heath wasn't that great (barely understood him for most of the film). I mean, in relative terms, for a guy born in the outback and who sucked so hard in EVERYTHING before this, he was great. But his mix of mumbling twang and total silence doesn't warrant accolade. The story, sans gay overtones, was typical chick-flick fare. I take my cowboy hat off to Hollywood and the public for supporting this movie and I recognise its significance (see my movie review), but dont go to far. No, it didnt get gypped when it didnt win. I was suprised it didnt win best picture. It never deserved to win but that doesnt mean scared people who cant detach themselves from what everyone was saying about it wont vote for it (see the 2004 Presidential election), without jsut looking at it on the merits of it as a film. And no dig at Michelle Williams, but WTF? She had a moment but was that one of the five best moments in film of 2005? Sad.
Didnt see Capote but I hear it was about a gay guy so I was not shocked that it got nominated. I think its funny that the guy who jsut "sharted" himself only about a year ago is now an Oscar winner.
For my money, Munich was tops of the movies chosen. It was timely and amazing how the events of 33 years ago mirror our foreign policy so well. The team, made up of people who all look different from each other and have different backgrounds/accents but all have a common bond, reflects America. There is a terrorist attack. We retaliate. There is backlash. We run the streets of the world gunning down those we are told are to blame. Eventually, we start killing men who really didnt have anything to do with the attack. Things get out of hand and...well you have to watch the film. And the final shot of the film, though a bit heavy handed, lays it all out beautifully for the slow kids. Gritty and uncompromising. It should have been Best Pic (since comedies and action films never win and so I cant vote for Wedding Crashers or Sin City). And where was Elizabethtown? I guess it got "lassoed" off the list.
Crash, you say? Excellent but I thought it was a little too much. I heard the little man in my head scream out "Message!" a little too often. Top notch and it should have been nominated, but to win? Maybe not. I'm on the fence on that one. Let me just say that I almost shit my jammies when they performed the song from Crash. Did anyone else see the guy dressed as a cop on stage cramming his arm between that other lady-dancer's legs? Holy Terry Stops, Batman!
So how do you top this year? I think I am going to make a film and fill it with all the pain and confusion you need to win an Oscar. Anyone interested in playing a gay, transgendered paraplegic boxer in 18th Century England?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I recognise its significance"

How much time you been spending on that little island? I fear for your soul, you are slowing becoming...English!

Cheerio,
Dude

Anonymous said...

"History of Violence", best movie of the year. Didn't get a lot of play, but goodgodalmighty

(it's good to be) The KING said...

HoV did get two nominations, though. One for William Hurt as Best Supporting Actor and one for Best Adapted Screenplay. Haven't seen it yet, but I am glad it got some recognition if its that good.