Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Things I Love/Hate and Why

Love

Reality TV. Because there's nothing like watching dreams get crushed in real time.

My DVR. It allows me to record and watch the dream-crushing whenever I want and in slow-mo.

The smell of fingernail polish remover. I dont know why.

Doughnuts. Why not?

Hookers. Because they make for such interesting conversation about their wardrobe, sense of self and legal issues (So what if I'm a ho? I love my kids!)

Hate

Clients who show up late. Because it throws off my whole day.

Clients who show up early, because they always arrive while I'm eating.

Clients who show up unannounced/uninvited/unwanted. Because I'm always doing something wayyy cooler and would call if I wanted to see them.

Clients. See 1,2,and 3.

I had a clients check come back 'insufficient funds'. Made me re-evaluate the reasons why I practice law. Is it the money? If its not, why does this piss me off so bad (or is it badly)? Shouldn't I be more concerned with the obvious injustice involved in her case? Or should I take the stance that my family has to eat and I am not some nameless cog at the Baker Donelson machine that draws that fat check each month. I needs my shizzle, bizzle! Is it worse that I cut this woman a break in the first place? Is it worse that she still expects me to hustle on this case?
All the older attorneys told me when I started this "You'll be hardened in about a year and won't be half as sympathetic to these people". Am I on the excelerated program and have reached my limit already? Or do I just learn from my mistakes faster?
Lawyers are like trees. Over time they petrify into these stony, crotchety old snapping turtles.
I cant wait.

Today's Cynical POV: Good clients are harder to find than a full set of teeth in a trailer park.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

of course its money... money and all the hot chics. yeah, right.